Caring for people on the Autistic Spectrum
About The Course
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who has an interest in Autism or works with anyone with the condition.
By the end of the course the delegates will know:
- The Autistic spectrum.
- The various types of Autism.
- How to work with Autistic service users.
- How service users with autism can exhibit challenging behaviour.
- Various techniques to assist in managing challenging behaviour.
- How to communicate effectively with people with Autism.
Welcome and introduction, followed by:
- What is Autism: causes and aetiology,
- Possible causes of Autism?
- Types of Autism,
- Understanding social behaviour of a person with Autism,
- The Autism Act 2009 and background in the UK,
- NICE Pathways 2016,
The Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make “reasonable adjustments.”
Focus on Asperger’s syndrome,
Social behaviour and communication issues for young people.
- Behaviour that challenges.
- Building self esteem.
- Links with anxiety and depression.
- Food issues.
- Sensitivity issues.
Techniques to assist:
- Use of social stories,
- Social Skills groups,
- Non verbal communication,
- Emotional Responses,
- Strategies to help,
- Understanding behaviour,
- What makes behaviour challenging to us,
- The function of behaviour.
Course includes handouts, discussion, video presentations and Q & A session.
- Duration: 1 day
- Certificate: Certificate of completion provided
- Course Title: Caring for people on the Autistic Spectrum
- Course Ref: