Emerging Personality Disorder in Adolescence
About The Course
This one day awareness course aims to give a broader understanding of what is an Emerging Personality Disorder and give a framework by which to understand disorder. The course will also cover managing boundaries and maintaining therapeutic relationships, along with giving an understanding of a psychological model for treatment.
- To explore definitions and understanding of terms: relating to personality and personality disorder.
- To explore emerging personality disorders including diagnosis, causes and support responses.
- To look at the challenges of working with personality disorders particularly boundaries, language and dynamics.
Introductions, Aims and order of the day.
What is personality and the development of personality:
- Personality test.
Theories of personality:
- Type theories.
- Trait theories.
- Behavioural Humanist.
Introducing the concept of Personality disorder and in particular emerging personality disorder.
An ecological framework for understanding child and youth development (Garbarino).
Introducing the concept of personality disorder.
What is a diagnosis?
The Pro’s and Con’s of a diagnosis – (Ashead, 2012; Bailey, 1993, 2006, 2010):
- Traits v Disorder.
- The origins and cause of personality disorder.
- Diagnostic Criteria – DSM V and ICD10 Multiaxial Diagnosis WHO (1996).
- The assessment of personality disorder and general criteria for an emerging personality disorder – (personality disorder assessment tools used in adolescence).
- The influence of an invalidating environment.
Case study – The Ward.
- Maintaining professional Relationships.
- What do we mean by Professional relationships.
- Examining the concepts of grooming and splitting.
What can we do to work better as a team?
Case study and work on “grooming and splitting.”
Treatment options and early interventions for at risk children.
Children, mental disorders, and conduct disorder (Bailey & Campion, 2012).
NICE Guidance 2009.
The role of psychological treatment:
- Psychological interventions.
The role of Drug Treatment.
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
Involving Family and Carers.
Particular Issues with PD: Personal Interaction and Language.
Positive Language exercise.
Evaluations and close.
- Duration: One day
- Course Title: Emerging Personality Disorder in Adolescence