Mental Health First Aid for Schools
About The Course
Mental Health First Aid for Schools and Colleges has been designed especially with schools in mind. Based on the Youth MHFA course but targeted to meet the needs of educational environments, MHFA Schools will cover key topics around young people’s mental health and wellbeing, with a strong practical focus on how to support young people experiencing mental distress. Whilst the course is not a replacement for the two day Youth MHFA course, delegates will become Champions for better mental health in schools.
- MHFA for Schools and Colleges teaches practical skills that can be used every day.
- It gives a deeper understanding to the complex issues relating to young people and mental health.
- It helps people recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health issues.
- It enables young people to access appropriate professional help.
- MHFA England has a proven track record and demonstrates its effectiveness through evaluation.
- What is mental health and mental ill health?
- Stigma and discrimination.
- The five steps of Mental Health First Aid.
- How to spot symptoms of mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders and psychosis.
- Non judgemental listening skills.
How will I learn?
As a one day course, it fits perfectly into schools’ inset training days and busy timetables, making it accessible for teaching staff across sectors. The session will be a mix of presentations, discussions, and group work activities. Our instructors provide a safe learning environment and are trained to support you throughout the whole course. If you don’t feel comfortable joining in certain parts, then there is no pressure to.
- Duration: 2 days
- Course Title: Mental Health First Aid for Schools