Basic Life Support
About The Course
To comply with the current UK Resuscitation Guidelines on Defibrillation and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation in relation to adults and paediatrics 2015 Guidelines.
Demonstrate the knowledge and skills (in simulation) to effectively identify patients who are deteriorating and undertake effective Basic Life Support (BLS).
BLS Course is benchmarked against:
- Resuscitation Council (UK) (RCUK) Resuscitation Guidelines (2015).
- Valid for 12 Months.
- Assessed by ‘Practical BLS Scenario’ and continuous assessment.
- Skill Station 1 – The ABCDE approach.
- Skill Station 2 – Initial resuscitation and defibrillation.
Overview of the course and standards – explanation of assessment process.
The importance of communication and Team Working.
Personal Welfare = PPE.
- Content and location.
The Chain Of Survival.
Recognition of the deteriorating patient:
- The ABCDE Approach.
- Explanation and demonstration (DVD film clip).
Skill Station 1 – The ABCDE approach.
The Chain Of Survival – recap.
The Circulatory system.
Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation – 2015 GUIDLEINES ADULTS AND CHILDREN.
CPR demonstration and practice.
Ligature protocol (where relevant).
Medical Emergencies:- Recognition and first aid treatment of:
- Diabetic coma.
- Hypovolemia (loss of fluid).
- Stroke – CVA.
AED and safe defibrillation Protocol for using AED.
Skill Station 2 – Initial resuscitation and defibrillation.
Summary of the session and close.
The course is assessed and meets the requirements of The Care Certificate.
- Duration: Half day (3 hours)
- Course Title: Basic Life Support